Akkara adisal is a sweet dish which made of moong dal and rice.
RAW RICE 3/4 CUP
MOONG DAL 1/4 CUP
WATER 4 CUPS
MILK 3 CUPS
SUGAR 1 CUP
GHEE 2 TBLSP
CASHEW NUTS 10 NOS.
ELACHI POWDER A PINCH
EDIBLE CAMPHOR(PACHHA KARPOORAM) A PINCH(OPTIONAL)
I didnt use the pressure cooker method, though i used a pressure cooker, instead of a heavy bottomed kadai.
1. Wash the rice and moongdal and soak it in 3 cups of water for 1/2 an hour.
2. In a heavy bottomed kadai/pressure cooker, add a tsp of ghee and fry the cashew nuts till it turns into a nice golden colour.
3. When it is done keep it aside and add the rice and moongdal (keep the water aside). Fry for a minute. Add the water and milk to this.
4. Allow it to cook, by stirring in between. Allow the rice and dal to cook very nicely.
5. In a kadai add the sugar and add 2 tblsp of water. When it comes to one string consistency switch it off and transfer the sugar syrup to the cooked rice and moong dal. Add ghee and the fried cashew nuts , elachi powder and mix well.
Sugar can be replaced with jagerry also. You can also keep the rice and moongdal in a vessel and pressure cook it.
If you are cooking in a pressure cooker, keep the mixture in a big vessel ,otherwise the milk will come out and the rice wont get cooked.